The Fourteenth Annual
Student Paper Competition
of the Stone-Campbell Journal Conference
Johnson University Tennessee (Knoxville, TN)
April 5-6, 2019
- The 2019 contest will accept papers in the following two categories of competition: Undergraduate (Juniors/Seniors) & Graduate (MA/MDiv).
- Papers from any discipline falling under the guidelines of Stone-Campbell Journal will be accepted.
- Papers must be 8-12 pages in length and paper presentations may be no more than 20 minutes (undergrad) or 25 minutes (grad) in duration respectively.
- Students must include a) the name and email address of a faculty member who has agreed to serve as a sponsor for the student’s submission and b) the student’s current enrolled degree program (e.g., “M.A. in Historical Studies”).
- The top three students in each category of competition will be asked to present their papers in person before judges at the conference. Finalists will be notified by February 17, 2019. Finalists must register for the conference by March 1, 2019 and attend the conference at Johnson University Tennessee (Knoxville) on April 5-6, 2019. Note: Finalists will be invited/encouraged to a pre-conference dinner on Thursday evening, April 4, to prepare for the final stage of the competition.
- The contest winners will be announced at the last plenary session of the conference on Saturday morning. Contest winners will receive a certificate and complimentary books. They will also be recognized in a news article on the SCJ website. The Isaac Errett winner (Stone-Campbell topics only) will receive a cash prize of $250. The graduate and Isaac Errett papers will be evaluated as potential articles for publication in SCJ.
- Several schools have pledged scholarships ($2,500) toward one year of graduate school to the winners of the respective divisions of the SCJ Student Paper Competition. Participating schools include Abilene Christian University, Austin Graduate School of Theology, Brite Divinity School, Emmanuel Christian Seminary, Harding School of Theology, Hope International University, Johnson University, Lexington Theological Seminary, Lincoln Christian University, and Phillips Theological Seminary. (Terms and conditions apply.)
Undergraduate and graduate contestants should submit their papers to Les Hardin (LHardin@JohnsonU.edu) by December 15, 2018. Be sure to include your competition level and area of program study upon submission. Direct all questions to Dr. Hardin.
Errett paper contestants in Stone-Campbell history should submit their papers and area of program study to Newell Williams (email@example.com) by December 15, 2018. Direct all questions to Dr. Williams.